The Adaab of Zikrullah
The 'Ulama had stated the following rules to be observed when making Zikrullah:
- The place wherein the Zaakir wishes to make Zikr should be free of things which will distract his attention.
- The Zaakir should be sincere and humble when making Zikrullah.
- He should clean his mouth thoroughly before making Zikrullah. It is best to use a Miswak before any form of remembrance of Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala.
- The place which he chooses for Zikrullah should be clean and Taahir (clean).
- Taahir body. The Zaakir must be in Wudhu! The body must also be free of impurities.
- Tahir clothes. The clothes must be free of impurities!
- The clothing of the Zaakir must be in accordance with Shari'ah.
- Zikr should be made while facing Qiblah.
- He should be imbued with the qualities of khushoo and khudoo (i.e. peace and composure).
- He should be aware of the meaning of the words he utters in Zikrullah.
- He should not be hasty when making Zikr.
- When making Zikr, at least the Zaakir should be able to hear what he utters or says under his breath. The mere thinking of the words or reading them in the mind will not render the Zikr valid.
- The recitation of the Holy Qur'an is the most excellent form of Zikr.
- Zikrullah is not confined to verbal devotions only. Any physical form of ibadah is also regarded as Zikrullah such as Salaat, etc.
- When a person endeavours to recite all the Du'as which Sayyidina Rasulullah (SAS) recited on various occasions, he will be categorized under those who remember Allah abundantly (as mentioned in Holy Qur'an).
- When adopting any form of Zikr on a regular daily basis, the Zaakir should ensure constancy. Doing it for a number of days, then leaving it could prove to be detrimental.