Hijab for converts
Islamic Media Entertainment
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hijab for converts

Default Hijab for converts

I would like to ask the following question regarding the hijab - do you think it is okay to overlook a convert sister's lack of hijab, or should a convert sister be constantly reminded of the obligation? Or can we advise her not to worry about it at all - after all she HAS converted.

I ask this because I speak to many females who seem like they would convert to Islam if it wasn't for the prospect of having to wear hijab. For example when I try to persuade my mum to convert, she says "oh, but I could never wear hijab, it's just not me, I'd look terrible etc". I want to be able to tell her not to worry about wearing the hijab, that converting to Islam Is the main thing - but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to say.

For the record, I myself am a convert and don't wear hijab. Then when people say I will go to he'll for not wearing hijab, I wonder to myself, so am I in the same position as before I converted? But isn't it better to convert to Islam and never wear hijab than to not convert at all?

Inshallah this finds you in the best of health and Iman.

The answer I am going to provide for you here is from a personal experience, my own. The phrase "oh, but I could never wear hijab, it's just not me, I'd look terrible etc". is one that I said when the prospect came up about me reverting to Islam.

I would not say to just "let it go" because she reverted. You should approach this sister with patience, understanding and with gentle naseeha. Mainly covering the cans and cannots about hijab, how beautiful the hijab is and also the meaning behind the hijab.

I have found that although hijab is fard on all Muslim sisters when they reach the age of maturity but I strongly believe that every sister has their own time when they will come to love hijab.

In fact just thinking about it, I know alot of Muslim sisters and reverts who always put not wearing hijab to how they are going to look.

Hijab is something that will come in time but it isnt something that should be pushed under the carpet and forgotten about. Constant friendly reminders are a must !

Inshallah I will have a look thru the forum and will link up something advices that should be able to help u in guiding this sister.

Yes this sister has reverted and it will take some reverts a little longer to comprehend everything and accept everything since they have changed not only their religion but also their entire lifestyle.

Here are some of the links,

Questions & answers about hijab

™Top 14 Excuses Made For Not Wearing Hijab!!

Women in Hijab: No Problem!

Ones Struggle with Hijab... A conversation ( A MUST read )

Celebrate the Hijab!

Hijab- a precious pearl

Baseless Objections Againts Hijab

Thinking About Hijab?...Steps To Consider

Inshallah this has helped somewhat.

If there is anything else I can be of assistance with then please do let me know.

Jazakallahu khiran

Sister Unpredictable

ps. You may also like to read thru

Unpredictable's Predictable Tips For Reverts

One Stop Resource Centre for New Muslims

pps.
    many females who seem like they would convert to Islam if it wasn't for the prospect of having to wear hijab.
    Tis the fear of the unknown. I honestly believe that once a person sees the beauty and understands the reasons why hijab was ordained then they would run not only to hijab but also to Islam. Understanding and acceptance is the key to everything.

Thanks for your advice sister - I have read widely on the subject already so I know all the reasons for wearing the hijab and the benefits of it.

But I just feel like there is so much emphasis on the hijab. If a woman backbites others or doesn't display good manners, it is kind of just swept under the carpet. But if I don't wear hijab, because it is such a "visual" thing, I feel like I'm condemed. The way I see it, before I didn't know anything about Islam. Now, I pray five times a day, fast Ramadan, read Quran, learn Arabic etc. I also don't eat pork or drink alcohol. And I go for Taraweh prayers almost every night in Ramadan. Plus I dress pretty conservately (covering everything except hair and face and hands and feet).

SO basically, one could say that if you are going to go to hell for not wearing the hijab, then you should only convert if you know for sure that you're gonna wear hijab (otherwise you'll go to hell anyway). - Not necessarily my point of view but some might say this.

So if someone says they are not going to convert to Islam because they don't wanna wear hijab, then what can you say to them? I don't think hijab should stop someone from converting.

also - one more question. When did the hijab become so prevalent? I see family photos of people in middle eastern countries (eg Lebanon) from like 30 years ago and no-one was wearing the hijab apart from a few old ladies who would then only wear if loosley with half their hair showing. I'm wondering why this is? If hijab is something from the Quran then why was hardly anyone wearing it back then? And those who were, very casually?

Thanks

So if someone says they are not going to convert to Islam because they don't wanna wear hijab, then what can you say to them? I don't think hijab should stop someone from converting.
    If they believe in Allah and that Muhammad (saw) is the last messenger of Allah then nothing will stop them from converting. The hijab may just be an excuse to get away from the subject of converting Allahu Alam.

Hijab is not something that I was forced to wear and my mum in law actually stopped me wearing hijab 4 years prior to me actually wearing it because she didnt believe it was from my heart.

I dont believe anyone should be forced to wear hijab because if the intention is not there and the want for the hijab is not there whats to say that a school age student wont take it off as soon as her parents drop her off.

I strongly believe that hijab comes in time and when that persons time has come then nothing will stop them.

When did the hijab become so prevalent? I see family photos of people in middle eastern countries (eg Lebanon) from like 30 years ago and no-one was wearing the hijab apart from a few old ladies who would then only wear if loosley with half their hair showing. I'm wondering why this is? If hijab is something from the Quran then why was hardly anyone wearing it back then? And those who were, very casually?
    The hijab has always been prevalent, ever since it came down to Prophet Muhammad. We need to remember that in some countries, sadly parents were not that insitant on teaching their children the correct Islam. I have relatives who did not wear hijab until a later time in their life, and this came back to their choice. Also when thinking about Lebanon and although this is not an excuse, just trying to give a reason why that may have been the case, Lebanon was a country that was strickened by war. Maybe the focus was more on surviving rather than fulfilling their Islam.

Each and every person is responsible for their own actions, and each person knows the reasons why they do and why they dont hijab.

I guess from me all i can say now is May Allah forgive those who put it off wearing hijab until a later time in life, May Allah guide those who are still consdiering this step and may Allah reward the sisters wearing hijab.

Also something else I just considered... it also comes back to the level of the persons Iman.

Allahu Alam.

+ Reply to Thread